Make simple syrup in just a few minutes with sugar and water! Use it to sweeten your coffee and tea.
I’m finding that it’s oftentimes easier to make something from scratch than it is to track it down in a store. Let’s be honest, most of the time is so much better when you make it at home. Especially when it’s as simple as simple syrup!
It’s been a few years since I’ve made my own simple syrup but I was recently encouraged to make some after watching my oldest make her own iced coffee. She has been enjoying a cup as she does her schoolwork but bless her heart, she’s been adding granulated sugar and stirring like crazy hoping it dissolves. When I noticed I was reminded of a vanilla simple syrup I made in the past. So I made a double batch for the both of us!
Simple Syrup Ingredients
That’s it! I chose to use organic cane sugar and I also added pure vanilla extract (that’s what gives it the darker color) because she and I both like a little flavor. You can add any flavor you like or keep it simple with just sugar and water.
How to Make Simple Syrup
It takes maybe 5 minutes to make!
- Add water and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk while heating until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in flavoring if you choose.
- Cool completely before storing.
Storing Simple Syrup
Pour cooled syrup into a glass jar with a lid and store in your refrigerator. Simple sugar will keep for quite a while because sugar is a preservative but I would toss it out after about a month. You can even purchase special lids for pouring strait from your jar or get a pump to fit just like the coffee shop.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Ratio of Sugar to Water
Make as little or as much as you like with a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water. I recommend starting with 1 cup of each and then see how often you need to make more. You don’t want to run out but it’s better not to make too much and it go to waste.
- Heat until dissolved. Do not boil!
- Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract per cup of liquid.
- Use your simple syrup in coffees, teas, or even cocktails or mocktails.
Did you make this recipe? Rate it and tag me on social @autumn.chasingoursimple
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Add sugar and water to saucepan over meduium heat.
- Whisk until sugar has disolved. Do not boil.
- Add optional vanilla extract or extract of choice.
- Cool completly and refrigerate in a glass jar with lid.
Sugar and water ratio should be 1:1
Adjust for making a larger batch.
Store for up to one month.